Thursday, September 11, 2008

Take Two - no, seriously

Hello, Hello,

It was brought to my attention that my previous entries don't really reflect....ME. I haven't done a very good job of explaining myself and what I'm doing because I have been so concerned with "appearing" a certain way. I didn't want to share too much, didn't want to not share enough; I didn't want to do this or that...but the long and short of it is it doesn't really matter 'cause I'm throwing all of these self imposed rules out of the window and I'm going to start fresh and hopefully, successfully portray the adventure that I am currently in the midst of.

So here we go again, take two I guess you could say.

I grew up in New Orleans, Louisiana and loved it. That city is so deeply integrated into who I am as a person that I cannot even fathom the type of person I would be without all the chaos, love, soul and general appreciation for life that I associate with the city. It is truly a magical place that is not fully appreciated until you've stepped out of your tourist shoes and just explored. It's just amazing!

But while my soul is in New Orleans, my love was in Idaho so off I went, literally onto the unbeaten path. I got an amazing job opportunity, found a cute apartment and quite my old job at an engineering firm. Between my love, the job and the apartment, it was if the stars had aligned and this was it for me, the next step in my big adventure.

So we battened down in my Tahoe: a Uhaul trailer and two dogs were our companions and off we went. 2372.57 miles later, we arrived in Moscow to snow, ice and the realization that I'd just moved 2000+ miles north, to the land of snow...SNOW...we arrived March 26 and it was snowing. I'd traded my Hurricane days in for Snow days and there was no time to adjust.

Several months later we casually went to view a solar power system in real, working order. About a month later, we purchased 21.5 acres on Moscow Mountain, about 5 minutes outside of Moscow. (And in case you didn't put it together, yes, it is the same home that contained the real, working solar power system.)

Our overall goal for the land is to keep it completely off the grid. This means we want to become completely self-sustaining, i.e. carbon neutral.

Carbon Neutral, as defined by Dictionary.com, is "emitting no carbon dioxide into the atmosphere" or "employing a technique to absorb carbon dioxide so it is not emitted."

Want to know what your carbon footprint currently is? And how to reduce it? Check out Conservation International: http://www.conservation.org/act/live_green/carboncalc/Pages/default.aspx?gclid=CJDby7rC1pUCFSQWiQodnD6XXw

At the moment, we are a long way from that {being carbon neutral} but it's an on-going process that we are pretty much discovering the path to as we go. And that's okay.

I hope to use this website as an outlet for what we discover, and as I said in a previous entry, a forum for input, suggestions, comments, etc.

With that said, let this be the first "real" entry. From here, we start a new, fresh, clean slate where I will essentially reveal the good, the bad, the ugly and everything in between. This is a brand new adventure that all of you probably know as much about as I do so here we go, together, into "the great unknown" and hopefully, we'll all come out a little wiser. Or if nothing else, a hell of a lot dirtier.
Thank you for everyone who has been following along so far. I hope that things only get better!

PEACE.

No comments: